- 00:00 Intro
- 00:44 CreateQuest Update
- 01:03 Solo Artist Curriculum Overview
- 03:00 Specific Details
- 04:05 What We Love About it
- 18:38 What Can Be Improved
- 29:07 Visual Storytelling
- 33:08 How to Align for You
- 34:53 Don’t be Afraid to Skip
- 37:34 Give it a Chance
- 38:26 Addressing the Improvements
What is it?
Radiorunner’s Curriculum for the solo artist. https://www.brendanmeachen.com/soloartist
A curriculum built for the self-taught artist looking for structure and direction.
Based on a design and concept by RadioRunner.
“If you only learn the rules of your art, you won’t know how to explore it creatively. If you only focus on creative exploration, you won’t learn how to create effectively within the rules of your artform.” ~Moderndayjames
The curriculum is based on the structure of Marc Brunet’s “ARTSchool”, so if you like it you may want to check out his own course. Overall however, the Solo Artist curriculum has a much higher emphasis on Perspective and Draftsmanship.
9 terms, 3 units per term, 4 weeks per unit.
3 years and 2 months.
Proko, Marshall Vandruff, Andrew Loomis, Drawabox, MonderdayJames, Aaron Blaise, Society of Visual storytelling, Marco Bucci, Frank Reilly, Glenn Vilppu, Steve Huston, Mike Mattesi, Scott Robertson, Marc Brunet, Schoolilsm, Kim Jung Gi, etc…
Structured curriculum, with amazing resources linked and challenges for every unit to ensure that the knowledge is internalized.
What we love about it?
- Logical structure.
- Only after years of study do I now know the logic behind it.
- It’s aligned with what I want to do, where I want to go in the future.
- Combines all of the contemporary artists I love.
- Deep focus on the fundamentals that all representational artists need.
- I don’t ever have to think about what is next. Just show up and work hard to internalize the wisdom.
- It got me to see the power of digital art.
Where does it fall short?
- No information for students on how to keep going.
- Required artists with the willpower and motivation to keep going patiently for years.
- No examples of people that have gone through it and improved. (that I know of)
- Links are old.
- Getting all the classes could be expensive. Much cheaper than 90% of all other schools.
- No one to provide feedback.
- Could be too analytical, for some.
How to align for what you need?
- Deep focus on fundamentals that can work for every representational artist.
- Understand that regardless of the medium the fundamentals translate.
- Big mindset change for me around digital art.
Don’t be afraid to skip
- There are some things I’ve already worked hard on for the past 9 years.
- There are some artists that focus on paths that I don’t want to go down.
- Remove any assumptions and preconceptions and try things for a set time period anyway.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
The links to the curriculum
Courses used in the curriculum
- Aaron Blaise – CreatureArtTeacher.com
- Artstation Learning
- Cubebrush ARTSchool
- Foundation Drawing (Gumroad)
- Krenz Cushart (Gumroad)
- Moderndayjames (Gumroad)
- New Masters Academy
- Proko Premium
- Schoolism (AWESOME!)
- Society of Visual Storytelling (AWESOME!)
- Watts Atelier Online
Artists featured in the curriculum
- Ahmed Aldoori
- Austin Batchelor (if you use Procreate for iPad check him out)
- The Art of Aaron Blaise(legendary animator of Disney Studios)
- BAM Animation
- Blender Guru (specifically his series on Light and Colour)
- Bobby Chiu (creator of Schoolism)
- Brad Colbow (drawing tablet reviews)
- Brooke Eggleston’s Character School
- Chris Oatley
- Croquis Cafe (gesture drawing sessions, mainly on Vimeo)
- Ctrl+Paint (learn to paint digitally)
- Dan Bradshaw Drawing Tutorials (draws like a printer, very Kim Jung Gi like
- Draw This (life-drawing resource)
- Draw with Jazza
- FZDSchool (Feng Zhu’s concept art channel)
- Jake Parker (Creator of SVSLearn and Inktober)
- James Gurney (Master painter, creator of Dinotopia – learn physical painting here)
- James Julier (Bob Ross like landscape painting for Procreate on iPad)
- Colouring with Kurt (Comic book colourist, great tutorials on light and colour)
- Love Life Drawing
- Lucas Peinador
- Marc Brunet (Creator of Cubebrush ARTSchool)
- Marco Bucci (Learn Digital Painting w/ traditional methods)
- MikeyMegaMega (Anime tutorials)
- Moderndayjames (The source for perspective, imagination, and concept drawing)
- New Masters Academy (Vippu, Steve Huston, and Reilly all teach here)
- Noah Bradley (Art Camp 1, 2, and 3)
- Robert Marzullo (comic book style)
- Trent Kaniuga
- Sinix Design (Learn the painterly style)
- Sycra (AWESOME!)
- Uncomfortable (Drawabox.com)
- Volen CK
- Will Terry (Creator of SVS Learn)
- Xia Taptara